Saturday, March 22, 2008

Five Guys Coming to NoMa

A commentator mentioned that an ATF insider had told him it was Five Guys who would be leasing the last remaining space at the ATF retail area. He was right. According to the biz journal, Capital Retail Group is finalizing plans with the hamburger and fries franchise. I don't eat meat so I'm not terribly excited about a burger joint, I would have much preferred a Thai or Indian place. But I know hubby and most of the DC population LOVE Five Guys so I'll be excited for them.

The article also talks about the potential of NoMa now that several big leases have been signed. In particular, it discusses the challenge of creating the right retail and restaurant mix for an area with diverse real estate ownership. The BID has already formed a retail committee of brokers and developers to address this challenge and perhaps develop a formal strategy. Some of its goals are "to determine how to make retail and restaurant offerings complementary, how to take advantage of certain locations and, essentially, how to build the identity of the neighborhood through its retail and eateries."

I know there are people who hate the label "NoMa" and the whole concept of NoMa (i.e., this post). And perhaps this committee (or a newly formed one) should attempt to acknowledge its former identity as Swampoodle instead of creating a totally new one.

I would never have thought a dozen years ago when I first moved to DC that I would be living in the NE. So NoMa or Swampoodle...I honestly don't care. I'm just happy to see the area being developed.

11 comments:

Sean Hennessey said...

cant say as i'm particularly interested by this one either.

but thanks for passing it on. i''m sure people will dig it.

Sean Hennessey said...

thai or indian would be terrific.

i love this place:
http://www.udupipalace.com/

dcavocado said...

Thanks for the recommendation, hubby and I will try that place out!

Anonymous said...

i live right off 2nd street, next to NoMa. i'm psyched.

it may not be a hippie dippie ethnic joint, but give it time. we have to develop the area a bit more before we go veggie commando on the area. it just won't happen yet.

but it's all way much better than the illicit activities that had been going on around there for decades.

dcavocado said...

I was hopeful...but you're right, definitely need to give it more time. Veggie commando...I need to use that term more...

Anonymous said...

Veggie commando?

Groan. And I'm vegetarian and married to a woman who has never eaten meat. May the regular consumers of Bovine Growth Hormone and High Fructose Everything continue to make their own choices about their own bodies.

Live and let live. Let your own personal radiant health speak for itself.

5 Guys is an improvement over the local Wendy's. Let's hope 5 Guys displaces Wendy's.

Sean Hennessey said...

poo poo,

no one mentioned the desire for a "hippie dippie" place, despite what your prejudices tell you to think.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Poo Poo:

Was this the other "Big News" you threatened to disclose previously -- in addition to NPR? Or is there more yet to come?

Anonymous said...

I like the name "NOMA". It's good for my real estate. If it was called Swampoodle still then no one would be interested. Shoot, I wouldn't have bought in Eckington if I thought the area south of me wasn't going to be developed.

bamoll said...

It looks like they're underway with tenant buildout of the Five Guys space finally.

dcavocado said...

Brooklyn Deli and Heidi's Mussels also seem to be on its way. Yay!